[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Welcome to the County Town Network (CTN) - bikeitorhikeit.net

Welcome to the County Town Network (CTN)

The place to post your comments, ideas and feedback about the madness that is the County Town Network
belugaforum
Site Admin

Welcome to the County Town Network (CTN)

Postby belugaforum » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:02 pm

What is the CTN?

Well, to be honest, the CTN is a bit of a bonkers idea that I had one night - surprisingly, I hadn't been consuming alcohol at the time.

Having previously completed the classic C2C route and a Devon South to North trip (well, almost), as well as several runnings of the now infamous , I have, recently, been spending an unhealthy amount of time looking at maps, reading bikepacking posts and bike trip blogs - such as this one by ,this one and this one .
All of these have inspired me to embark on further adventures on my bike.

Whilst looking at the maps, and contemplating the predictability of the classic LEJOG (Hats off to those who complete it, though), I noticed that three of the towns on the map in front of me were towns whose names can be followed by "Shire" to form the name of a county. Then I started to wonder just how many of these (English) counties I had visited - it turned out to be all but one of them

Things progressed from there and I started to wonder about the county towns themselves, and the count dwindled somewhat (22 of the 47 have eluded me so far - not that I've been trying, of course) so the idea of the CTN was born

In a nutshell, the aim of CTN is to provide the frameworks for people to use when planning bicycle rides/tours.

When adding the extra criteria of having to arrive at a county town by bicycle, my tally drops to a rather dismal 1 (although I'm planning to bag a couple more, relatively soon)

More on this soon...

belugaforum
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to the County Town Network (CTN)

Postby belugaforum » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:23 pm

Since my initial idea, and implementation of the basic website, I've decided to extend the network to include Wales & Scotland, to allow a bit more scope for those of you who live in those parts of the UK - or if you live on the borders.

Return to “County Town Network”